Back to sunshine and group slave labour – the roof, gutters and house wrap are on!
Once I’d made the hard decision of choosing the colour, Tom ordered the roof, gutters and flashings. Being one of the more technical jobs we mostly left this bit up to his expertise, but not before cutting the roof insulation to size and giving the fascia boards another lick of paint. Gutter prong holdy things went on (technical term), then the gutters and then the roof was on! Tom is going to report back on the roof side of things soon for a more detailed overview of what he’d rethink if we tackled this project again.
There are still a few things that we are making up as we go along, they usually turn out to be decisions made mostly by common sense anyway. The downpipes for example, are all running towards the drawbar end of my trailer. This means my rainwater tank will be able to sit on the drawbar in front of my gabled nook: makes sense. Yet for some reason I was picturing a tank sitting out the ‘back’ of the trailer so it’s not the first thing you see when you approach the house. It’s a little thing but it’s these details that you may not have considered before that can catch you by surprise. There still hasn’t been anything that has been a major issue, but maybe that’s also the ‘going with the flow’ approach kicking in there.
Brodie came to lend a hand ALL WEEKEND and is a giant tiny house star. Once the group effort of getting the bulk of the roof on was done and Tom was busy fiddling around with flashings, Brods and I got to work putting the vapour barrier on the rest of the house. The sisolation (also known as sarking apparently, what a word!) protects the house from moisture and condensation (I think?!). Just one more task that I underestimated…turns out everything is made that much harder when you’re metres off the ground! Pretty sure I’ve now earned my ladder badge – setting up, shifting around, balancing on uneven ground and then climbing up and down – all seems pretty straight forward but the proper heavy duty ladders take a bit of wrangling and sloping, muddy ground doesn’t make for the easiest set up. Also they’re HEAVY. Hoping my tradie muscles show up soon. Must be on their way, right?
Anyway, Brodie and I, exceptional apprentices that we are, made considerable progress on the sarking. Considerable that is, until we ran out of wrap. No biggie; quick duck off to the hardware shop to get some more. We got another side of the house covered and then promptly ran out of tape to tape the wrap. (Meanwhile, who doesn’t buy more tape when they buy more wrap, just in case?) Another trip to the shop. We got seven eighths of the way finished annnnnd then ran out of wrap once more, just for good measure. At least I’d genuinely considered getting more wrap while buying the second lot of tape? I was pretty sure we’d be swimming in left overs of the wrap but, there you go. Bit awkward now – anyone have a spare 2 metres of house wrap I can scrounge?! Lucky Dad’s old tarps were still on hand from my attempts to protect the yellow tongue flooring on the trailer. We tacked a smaller one on and now have the bulk of the house covered.
One other fairly major mistake we made was taking the scaffolding down before wrapping the dormers. Once the gutters were on the bottom half of the walls were wrapped it was pretty impossible to rest a ladder anywhere convenient. Brodie and I got
desperate creative and wrapped from the inside as best we could but it wasn’t pretty. It will either be fine once the cladding is on anyway, or we’ll redo it once we’re set up to clad and can reach. We used tacks you hammer in and impermeable sarking, not the breathable stuff that you can get for the walls – it’s heavier duty and I’m not quite sure why you’d want your moisture barrier to be breathable anyway.
Thank goodness we got the roof and wrap on that we did – the week following we had a massive dump of rain and things continue to be wet. It also made it a lot easier to pack up and head to Perth, knowing that the house was pretty well protected. There are still a few gaps to fill but with a roof and wrap on it should last a few more weekends till the cladding arrives. More big decisions on their way…stay tuned!