So, my last update was exciting, but also a little bit ahead of its time.
Although we got the floor on, we’d skipped forward a few steps while we tried to wait out the weather. Which, let’s be honest – in Gippsland, was always going to be optimistic. Before I could make any serious progress on the build I really needed to get the trailer onto its flat pad on the other side of the block. Originally this was going to be a quick two day job: get a bobcat in, pack some crushed rock on the build site to even things out and set a solid foundation, rip out some bushy trees in the way and back the trailer down its new home. But what do you do when the ground is too wet to get a bobcat in? Do what you gotta do I guess.
After a weekend pulling out salvias and blackberry bushes by hand I’d made enough of a dint to start getting some rock in. Thankfully, I am blessed with some pretty generous family members who aren’t totally opposed to slave labour on occasion. With two brothers and my dad on board we managed to shift and lay something around the mark of 6 tonnes of gravel.
May not look like much to the unknowing eye, but that’s a brutal amount of rock to shift with wheelbarrows. Certainly not the first time that I’ve thought it takes a village to build a tiny!
One step closer.
On Sunday the bobcat arrived (possibly against his better judgement, but let’s not go there).
Crunchtime. They say a picture’s worth a thousand words…see how many more words you need.